Tuesday, October 28, 2014

We wear the masks....

It's the time of year when you get to choose what face you wear and parade as someone else for a day without being trucked away in a new custom tailored winter white wrap jacket. Halloween.

I like to participate just like any other drama camp deprived kid turned adult so I get into the festivities, stage makeup style. My daughter has chosen a witty costume. German tavern girl dress + brown child= German Chocolate. (This kid is a riot)




I haven't decided if I want to be a comic book or a black and white movie character but either way, I'll be sure to share it with ya.

After halloween, I will be attending a masquerade ball! I have wanted to go to one for quite some time so off course I had some plans on attire and a coordinating mask. I decided to DIY my mask and I am thrilled with the results, hence why I am sharing my project before it's been completed.

I started with a mask from Michael's Art Store. It set me back $4.99 (big spender). I had the other supplies but if you do not they are not expensive.





You will need:

1 mask (plastic)
Black acrylic paint
gold metalic paint
1 small round acrylic brush
1 flat medium acrylic brush
pencil

First, paint your mask with acrylic paint. I used 3 coats of paint painted in short strokes until almost dry to give my mask the appearance of hair since my mask is a cat shape. It helps if you tie the ribbons on the mask together. There were a few times I almost dropped the mask while wet and the string was the only way to catch it workout ruining my project.





After the black paint is dry use a #2 pencil to sketch a pattern. This process is important and if you make a mistake you can erase without a problem.






Once you are satisfied with your sketched plan paint using your metalic paint and small round brush. Take you time with this step. If you rush, it will show. I tried using a metalic sharpie instead of paint. I do not suggest it.


The results were very dull. 

In my normal impatient manner, I could wait to go to the store for metalic paint so I opened a metalic paint pen. More work than necessary but, wowzers-the results are amazing!





This is what I have so far. I would like to go back over the stray gold brush strokes with my black paint again, seal with a matte protectant and I'm thinking about adding rhinestones and/or feathers. I really love the result and although I would love to add a lititle sparkle I don't want to ruin a good thing.

This would be a great project for anyone still looking for a low maintainace halloween costume with umph.

Well, until next time happy crafting ya'll!





No comments:

Post a Comment