Monday, March 12, 2012

Luminati de Flora

Okay so I completely made up the heading. Don't bother trying to translate. It's a mix of my sorry attempt at Italian and the text from a Fancy Nancy book.

Speaking of Fancy little girls, My daughter's birthday just passed and so we are in the process of redoing her room. She is currently still using her toddler daybed (crib without one side) so it is well overdue. One of the things I surprised her with is a lighting fixture with as much flare as her. I found the craft on various sites but nothing quite like what I wanted to create. I wanted to create a DIY Chandelier. I ended up using artificial flower petals from the Dollar Tree, A wire planter that I had laying around (tired of the neighborhood kids flipping over my inpatients!), needle, thread and eventually a hot glue gun.

I apologize for the poor pictures....really have to fix my digital camera...or upgrade my phone.

1. I started with the wire hanging basket and added a middle layer of ribbon to be able to attach the middle layer of cascading flower petals. One recommendation I suggest if you attempt this craft is to start with a basket close in color to your petals. Black basket and white flowers...not a good idea...but I was too excited to want to paint and wait for it to dry!

2. The next step is to organize your flowers by how you want to arrange them. I started with bouquets of flowers so I had to remove the petals from the stem and cut them into individuals. It doesn't take long at all.

3. Next start with your top row. I initially started by folding the petals over the top of the basket (open side) and SEWING them on. Yes it will be secure but my goodness it takes forever!

4. After my top row is done I hot glued the petals in a cascade formation. Think of them being like the monkeys in a barrel of monkeys game. They are only close enough to hold on to each other. For me each cascade was 6-7 petals long (including boarder).

5. I did the same with the second and third layers. My first layer was white, second was light pink (and attached to ribbon) and third was hot pink. In the end I attached a few clear beads I had laying around for kicks. May remove them since I'm not crazy about them.

In the end I had this....

Seriously, If I can do this-anyone can. All it takes is a little patience. Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment